Skip Navigation
Body fade

I go out on a weekend and 'binge' drink, does this mean I have a drink problem?

Ask the police logo

Many people go out on a weekend and drink more than half the weekly recommended units of alcohol in one night, this is a phenomenon known as 'binge drinking'. If you go out on a weekend and drink for drinking's sake to get hammered/blathered/smashed etc then you are a binge drinker.

Apart from the obvious risks to your health, it does not automatically follow that you have a problem with alcohol if you binge drink, although statistics do show that some binge drinkers go on to be chronic binge drinkers and develop a serious problem with alcohol.

However, you should be aware of the dangers of too much alcohol, not only to your health but also to your personal safety. When under the influence of alcohol you are more likely:

  • to have unprotected sex;
  • to be injured in accidents;
  • to be more vulnerable to violent crime (both as a victim and an offender).

Alcoholics Anonymous have a very good phrase, 'If alcohol is costing you more than money, then you have a problem'.

Answer From Kent Police

Can't find what you're looking for?

Answers in this FAQ section are provided by the 'Ask the Police' website. Produced by the Police National Legal Database (PNLD) team, 'Ask the Police' is an official police site approved by the National Police Chiefs Council (NPCC). All FAQ answers are © PNLD.

This website uses cookies. By using this website, you're accepting our cookies policy and consenting to cookies being used. Read the Kent Police Website Privacy and Cookies Policy. Find out more about Kent Police and your personal data in our Data Privacy notice 2018.

Share with: