Skip Navigation
Body fade

Anti social behaviour

Types of issues covered by the term anti social behaviour are: 

  • Noise and rowdy behaviour*
  • Begging
  • Vandalism
  • Graffiti, litter and fly tipping
  • Nuisance neighbours
  • Nuisance or abandoned vehicles
  • Noisy or intimidating dogs
  • Misuse of fireworks, fires being started
  • Drug dealing, taking drugs or drinking alcohol in the street
  • Harassment, intimidation or threatening behaviour
  • Prostitution and indecent behaviour
  • Hoax calls to emergency services
*This doesn't include children playing or DIY noise unless at an unreasonable time of day/night

Anti social behaviour (ASB) can make an area frightening and unpleasant to live, work or relax in.
Together with Kent Fire and Rescue Service, councils and other public and voluntary organisations, we use our powers to get to the root of problems and take action. 

Who do I contact?

While we are responsible for tackling some aspects of anti-social behaviour, your local council deals with:

Two offenders cleaning graffiti

All other issues

If a crime is in progress or in an emergency call 999. For non-urgent issues Report a Crime or Incident Online  or contact your local Community Safety Unit (made up of a number of agencies including the police and council):

  • Canterbury and Dover
  • Shepway and Ashford
  • Thanet
  • Dartford and Gravesham
  • Medway
  • Swale
  • Maidstone
  • Sevenoaks
  • Tunbridge Wells and Tonbridge & Malling

Community Triggers

If you've reported 3 or more incidents of ASB to the relevant organisation within the last 6 months you can ask your local Community Safety Partnership to review the incidents under a 'Community Trigger'.

The incidents must be about the same problem and reported within a month of when it first happened.

Each district council has a Community Trigger application form on their website:

How the police can help

There are a range of powers available to us to tackle anti-social behaviour, including:
  • Criminal Behaviour Orders (CBOs) - a court order to tackle the most persistently anti-social people who are also convicted of a crime.
  • Closure powers - allow us or the council to quickly close premises which are being used, or likely to be used, to commit nuisance or disorder.
  • Public Space Protection Orders - to stop people committing anti-social behaviour in a public space.
  • Dispersal powers - used to move people away from a particular area for up to 48 hours if they're likely to cause anti-social behaviour, crime or disorder. 
  • Community remedy - gives victims a say in the out-of-court punishment of offenders for low-level crime and anti social behaviour.
  • Civil injunction - to quickly stop or prevent people causing anti social behaviour. 
  • Community Protection Notice - to stop someone (16 or over), a business or an organisation committing anti social behaviour which spoils the community’s quality of life.
  • Absolute ground for possession - where applicable, we can speed up the eviction of anti social tenants to bring faster relief to victims.
Back to Advice

Was this page helpful?

This website uses cookies. By using this website, you're accepting our cookies policy and consenting to cookies being used. Read the Kent Police Website Privacy and Cookies Policy. Find out more about Kent Police and your personal data in our Data Privacy notice 2018.

Share with: